This year, I would like to devote one article every alternate day to discuss about an interesting article. I hope to stick to the idea and am going to give my best for the same. We begin the tradition with today’s Wall Street article on Verizon.
Verizon announced to launch a set of Android powered 4G mobile phones later this year. With AT&T, claimed to be the largest and fastest network available in US, expected to launch the 4G in the mid of the year. I feel this year is going to be the year of Android. Tablets and mobile phones are going to rule the market and most of them can adopt the Android software as their operating systems. I wouldn’t be amazed if the year 2011 is named after the “Android Year”. So, do watch out for more trendy smartphones, tablets. With more smartphones and tablets, the war of network is going to get bitter. In US, we expect the war to be between AT&T and Verizon, but with the emergence of new players such as Spring and T-mobile. I feel we need to take a very close look at the upcoming Las Vegas Electronics show.
As the world gears up for the 4G network, the definition of 4G network remains kind of fuzzy. Initially, when we were expecting that the 4G technology is with us, the technology was renamed to Long Term Evolution (Basic LTE and LTE Advanced). Market and technology has struggled to define the 4G technology perfectly.
But lets not get into that debate. I will tell you couple of things that excites me in the 4G:
- Smartphones are really going to get SMART. How SMART – We have to wait and watch. But definitely a lot of research and new gadgets are going to be with us.
- With tablets and smartphone wars getting fierce, will other companies like Apple join the approach of Google to compete with Android. Would be interesting to watch but I would like to bet on Android now.
- Speeds are going to KILLER. 100Mbits/s for trains and cars and 1Gbits/s for stationary.
- Gaming and Entertainment will reach a new level of experience. Users are going to help irrespective of what they pay for.
- Secure all-IP based mobile broadband solution for mobile phones, laptops and tablets.
- Streamlined Multimedia is going to be the buzzword. May be a beginning of a great era of YouTube like companies.
No matter if it is 3G or 4G, I believe that the year 2011 is going to be the year of smartphones and tablets.